Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Influence of Film

The film industry has played a major role in how many of us view the world since it began. Hollywood has been pushing its agenda, whether subtly or right in your face, basically since it was established. People young and old have been influenced for good and bad since that same time. I want to talk about my own experience with movies, and how they affect me.
My earliest memories are of watching those classic Disney movies. I feel that they were very beneficial to my childhood as my mother could get a break every once and a while, and it taught me that good always prevails. That may not always be the case in real life, but it is certainly a great ideal I hope to instill in my own children someday.
Now days, I cannot say that I participate in the same viewing genres. I am more into movies that I wish related to my own life. Movies like Batman, which are not even possible, allow me to place myself in a different world for a little bit and live through the eyes of a super hero. I think that is one of the main reasons people watch movies. They can leave their own lives for a minute and experience something completely different, whether possible or not.
However, I am certain that the film industry understands this and uses this desire people have to influence them. They portray things such as immorality, violence, and just evil living as normal and accepted. They make it seem ok to do things that really you would get thrown in jail for or worse, sin. I am not saying all movies do this, but I am saying that it seems to be the trend they are heading in. I myself am guilty in indulging in movies that influence me in a very negative way. Whether I initially recognize it or not every time I watch a movie with any of those things above mentioned in them, I am more inclined to do them myself.
Movies are very powerful and can be used to do a lot of good. Sadly, most of the world is using this power to do the complete opposite.

No comments:

Post a Comment